June 7th was National Chocolate Ice Cream Day, the day we celebrate one of the most popular ice cream flavors of all time. And while chocolate ice cream does come in second to vanilla in terms of popularity, it does so knowing that it is very adaptable to layers of extra flavors and that it functions as a base for many other popular ice cream flavors. And speaking of chocolate base, ice cream manufacturers are improving the quality of cocoa and chocolate that they use in order to deliver a more upscale eating experience. Often times the source of the chocolate is becoming part of the flavor story.
Here are 10 innovative chocolate ice cream flavors for summer 2013:
- Stout Beer and Chocolate Gelato- Developed by Gelato Petrini, this product joins other alcohol-containing frozen desserts such as Guinness Chocolate.
- Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup- A chocolate version of its popular Peanut Butter Cup ice cream, limited-edition pints of Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup are available exclusively through Walmart. A half-cup serving contains 330 calories and 21 grams of fat.
- Blue Bunny Premium Chocolate Caramel Cashew Ice Cream- Here’s another limited-edition ice cream. It is described as silky chocolate ice cream loaded with chocolate flakes, honey-coated cashews and a caramel sauce. A half-cup serving contains 160 calories and 8 grams of fat.
- Baskin-Robbins' Maui Brownie Madness Frozen Yogurt- The popular ice cream parlor is this new yogurt, which is chocolate frozen yogurt loaded with chunks of brownie and macadamia nuts and swirled with ribbons of chocolate fudge.
- Straus Family Creamery's NuScoop- It is an innovative snack or meal supplement that provides complete nutrition in the form of a frozen dairy dessert. NuScoop is real, organic food without any artificial or genetically modified ingredients. This first ever “energy bar for ice-cream lovers” is available in 4-ounce cups in three flavors, Dutch Chocolate, Strawberry and Coffee. All of the NuScoop flavors are 50% higher in protein and 50% lower in fat compared to regular ice cream. The suggested retail price is $2.49.
- Three Twins Ice Cream- The dairy company has a number of new flavors this summer, including two chocolate pint concepts. There’s organic Fair Trade Chocolate Malt and organic Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup. Pints retail for $4.49 to $4.99.